Jul 8, 2013

Starting with my favorite obsession...

"Now I can't be the only person in the world that loves these delightful creatures.  And it all started from a single movie that I watched as a kid: Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948), starring William Powell and Ann Blyth. She was to me, without a shadow of a doubt, the most delicately enticing beauty I think I'd ever seen. The deciding factor was her tail.  If you watch the movie, her tail looks like that of a salt water fish.  Some may complain that the tail looks a bit 'rubbery', but to me, It was somehow terribly sexy... the spiny shape of the fluke had a certain 'something' about it.  Does anyone else see what I see?

Miranda, a British film, was another mermaid movie opening in theaters in the same year. Glynis Johns starred in this film as our scaly heroine and was a slightly more seasoned character -- shamelessly flirting with every man on two feet,  In contrast, Mr. Peabody's mermaid was wide eyed, mute and decidedly nubile.

I swore to myself that one day I'd have a tail!  And you know what?  I wound up designing and making my own out of neoprene rubber, determined to dazzle the world with my creation.  I got more mileage out of that tail than I have out of most cars I've driven, and over time, my poor tail just sort of disintegrated. Gee, ya think? Now it would be over 40 years old!

HEAR ME LAWS OF PHYSICS: "You can disintegrate my tail but not my memories."

Yes, I know every little girl wants to be a mermaid -- but what about us BOYS that want to be a mermaid too?  Merman?  Nice, but not as glamorous.

Plus, the sensation of actually swimming in a 'tail' is an experience that one can't imagine until you've tried it.  There's a very famous women around these days named Mermaid Melissa, that, besides being a beautifully stunning  girl, makes an amazing mermaid and performs all over the world.  Her most outstanding feature is that she can hold her breath underwater for about 5 minutes, which is pretty impressive. When asked how she manages this, she explains that when she's underwater, she experiences a sensation of complete relaxation, lowering her blood pressure and heart rate to the most desirable of states. I know exactly what she's talking about, because I've had the same sensations while gliding through the sea in my own tail. It makes you feel very safe and secure in the water -- suddenly you're 'part' of the ocean itself, blending with the fluid and languorous movements of the water -- you're 'part' of why everything in the ocean moves and behaves the way it does.  And it also makes you realize how much effort we expend in daily life grappling with gravity 24/7. When you've had that experience, it's hard to forget -- and like a soothing drug, it tugs at your core for more.  Addiction?  Maybe. But I can think of a hell of a lot worse things to be addicted too..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are appreciated and usually enjoyed..lol...thx, uncle patrick